Sunday, April 17, 2011

Martha



Martha is my Ameraucana hen and coincidentally a rescue. When I got her last year her entire saddle (back) had not a feather on it from being picked on by an alpha type hen at her previous residence. Now look at how healthy she is. I guess she had to catch up with a molt and has never gone broody on me yet. Just getting to the point where she'll let me pet her back and has always eaten from my hand.

My hens eat organic pellet's (to reduce waste) mixed with food grade DE on occasion, they free range in the yard and I am sure they consume a considerable amount of bug matter and grit, plenty of my garden (of which they can reach), all of the scraps that we do not consume, organic plain yogurt and probably an occasional lizard or two. She certainly doesn't turn her nose up to much.

No comments:

Post a Comment